Okay, so I randomly decided I wanted to make cupcakes because I love to bake! This recipe isn’t really an expensive one but it can add up if you don’t have some of these ingredients at home. The good thing about it is once you buy some of these ingredients you won’t have to buy them for a while and are great to have around if you want to bake something, these ingredients include: flour, sugar, powdered sugar, and baking powder.
For this recipe I kind of just took a basic cupcake and frosting recipe and I just spruced it up some. The reason I decided to go with Oreos is because my boyfriend loves them! And when I say he loves them, I mean if Oreos are on it he wants it, he would probably even eat pizza with Oreos on it if he could! And I love strawberries and I love cream cheese so I decided to make strawberry cream cheese icing; it’s the best of both worlds! My boyfriend gets what he wants and I get what I want. (Just a forewarning, the frosting makes quite a bit so there may be leftovers because there was with mine.)
½ cup softened butter
¾ cup pure cane sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
2/3 cup of milk
20 Oreos divided (12 to place at the bottom and 8 to crush inside)
12 cupcake liners
8 ounces of soften cream cheese
4 ounces of soften unsalted butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Chocolate syrup and mini Oreos for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In cupcake pan place in the cupcake liners and put an Oreo at the bottom of each and set aside.
3. (Now we are going to make the cupcake batter so we will be using those ingredients.) In a large bowl combine softened butter and sugar with an electric mixer on low speed. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating on low until well mixed after each egg. Then stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Next, in separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt then pour into the butter-sugar mixture and beat on low with mixer until completely combined. Then add the milk and mix on low mixer until smooth.
5. In a plastic baggy crush 8 Oreos with whatever you have on hand to crush with, I used a metal measuring cup but you could use a meat tenderizer or even a bowl, until there are no more chunks and stir into cake mix.
6. Fill each cupcake liner about to the top or just evenly distribute it based on how much batter you have.
7. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden, when they are done them set them out to cool.
8. While the cupcakes are cooling, we are going to make the icing. Rinse strawberries and cut of green leaves and slice into smaller pieces. Put the pieces in a blender until they become a puree and there are no more chunks.
9. Then in a bowl combine softened cream cheese and softened butter with an electric mixer on low. Then mix in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time until smooth and then stir in vanilla extract.
10. Next take the strawberry puree and mix into frosting mixture with mixer on low until well mixed (You may need to put the frosting in the fridge for a little bit to thicken up).
11. When cupcakes are cool spread on frosting or use a pastry bag and a frosting tip. Top with chocolate syrup and mini Oreos if desired and enjoy!
Original cupcake recipe from: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/733v19s2/classic-vanilla-cupcakes.html
Original frosting recipe from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html